The proposed $400 million cut to NHMRC funding, representing approximately 20% pa of the current NHMRC funding base, has been already drafted into the 2011 Federal budget. The Expenditure Review Committee (ERC) has not yet signed off on the proposal. Since active objection by members of the research community and the public may influence this decision, you are encouraged to take action by either or all of the following:
1. Vote for theÂ ‘protect funding for medical research in Australia‘Â campaignÂ idea on Get Up! Note the vote button in top left hand corner.
2. SignÂ Research Australia’sÂ i-Petition to protect medical research funding.
3. Support the WEHI’sÂ “Discoveries needs Dollars” campaign.
4. Send a hard copy letter directlyÂ to any of the following individuals:
- Prime Minister of Australia, The Hon. Julia Gillard MP
- Minister for Health and Ageing, The Hon. Nicola Roxon MP
- Minister for Mental Health and Ageing, with responsibility for the NHMRC, The Hon. Mark Butler MP
- Treasurer, The Hon. Wayne Swan MP
- Minister for Finance and Deregulation, Senator The Hon. Penny Wong
- Local MP
We probably no more than a week to influence this decision, urging the Australian Government to maintain the NHMRC budget at current levels.
Terry Spithill and Denise Doolan
On behalf of the ASP Executive