Applications are now open for new STEM Ambassadors to join the STA STEM Ambassadors program in 2021.
A further 27 MPs & Senators wish to participate next year, building on the 24 MPs involved in the first two years of the program.
The goal of this program is to build on the success of Science meets Parliament to help forge even stronger ties between Members of Parliament and STEM professionals.
Science & Technology Australia’s STEM Ambassador Program seeks to:
- create long-term relationships between Parliamentarians and STEM professionals;
- deepen scientists’ understanding of, and participation in, policymaking processes;
- deepen Parliamentarians’ understanding and application of science and STEM;
- create a network of scientists engaged in STEM policy; and
- increase the profile and value of science and technology among decision makers.
We offer our Ambassadors advanced skills training to deepen their understanding of how to engage effectively with MPs, Senators and Governments – and how policy is made.
Parliamentarians deepen their understanding of STEM fields, develop closer ties with the STEM community in their constituency, and see even more closely the benefits of evidence-informed policy and stable and long-term support for science.
The STEM Ambassadors program is exclusive to STA members. Successful applicants will be chosen based on the locations of the Parliamentarians who have expressed interest in joining the program. Ambassadors will have to either live or work in the electorate of the participating Parliamentarians and will be selected through a competitive application process. The following will also be taken into consideration when selecting ambassadors:
- Experience and skill in science presentation to the general public;
- Stage of career (early to mid-career STEM workers are preferred); and
- Previous attendance of Science meets Parliament is highly regarded
For more information and to apply, please visit the STEM Ambassadors website.
Applications close 12.01AM AEDT on 7 February 2021.